Thursday, March 20, 2014

Trade Secrets

Sometimes my paintings take a day, or several hours, to put down the basic premise. After that it is rare that I don't go back weeks, months or a year later and change them in some way. The working and re-working that I do is a combination of using my own style and experimentation of techniques I've come up with to create that certain look my paintings have. I take it as a compliment that many sighted people can recognize my work without seeing my signature.  These are my trade secrets. I add things to the paint that most people don't. The finished product speaks for itself.

About a year into painting I started signing my finished paintings with a Sharpie marker on the front right or left hand corner.  This is now the indicator of a finished painting.  My art has to reach a certain criterion, in my opinion, before I will show it and no one sees a painting before its time.


No comments:

Post a Comment