Monday, March 10, 2014

On the Subject of Art

Art is all around us from the time we wake in the morning until we sleep at night and even then we are engaged in the art of sleeping. I personally despise the categorizing of art. Any creative effort is art. It is the intent that matters, not the category it falls in that should determine artistic value. The function of the human body and its intricate capabilities are artistic when we use them with intent. Everything we do involving a creative aspect is art. I live art, breathe art- eat,sleep and dream art.  

I have always had an interest in art and been more creative than most of the people around me. If we were to draw shapes like spheres or tubes, I took them and moved them around rather than drawing them as they lay on the table in front of me. My mind placed them in different positions and I produced different compositions from the others in the class.

This is still what happens today, when I am in "art mode." Despite not seeing well, my mind takes over and I put paint to the canvas and the process starts from there. To me creativity is the ability to manipulate time and space to capture its essence on canvas.

Only one in ten paintings I do achieves this quality and that one attracts people. A good analogy is the songwriter that hits the mark with a number one hit song. A lot of people identify with it for different reasons, but not necessarily for the same reason the song was written.


No comments:

Post a Comment